Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels is being touted as a potential GOP presidential candidate. In this piece we get a pretty good glimpse of Daniels' intellectual interests and economic philosophy.
The article is an interview with Daniels about five books that have shaped his thinking about economics. He talks about each at length. The five are:
- Road to Serfdom - Friedrich Hayek
- Free to Choose - Milton Friedman
- What it Means to be a Libertarian - Charles Murray
- The Rise and Decline of Nations - Mancur Olson
- The Future and Its Enemies - Virginia Postrel
What Daniels says about these books is fascinating. It's obvious that he's actually read and digested them.
It'd be nice to have someone in the White House familiar with thinkers of this caliber rather than with the works of Marx, Marcuse, Chomsky, and Alinsky.RLC