Saturday, January 7, 2006

Back Home

I'm just back from a great week in the highlands of Costa Rica chasing after the marvelous birdlife down there. It's hard to describe to someone who is not particularly interested in the beauty of the natural world how incredibly gorgeous many of the Costa Rican species are - certainly the pictures in the field guides don't capture the richness and subtlety of the colors of many of the birds and butterflies. For those who do have an appetite for nature's beauty, Costa Rica is a wonderful place to attempt to satisfy it.

I've revelled in every moment of my time there each of my three visits (at least I have once I've been able to get clear of the San Jose airport), and if it weren't for the fact that my family is here I'd have had a hard time leaving.

Anyway, I had prepared a few things for Bill to post in my absence, and he helped fill the gap with some of his own thoughts, for which I'm grateful. I hope to have more to post tonight.